AZN747

找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
查看: 1818|回复: 6

LLWS - Little League World Series

[复制链接]
发表于 2019-8-17 05:58:50 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Not sure whether wlof brothers have exposure to the above.  LLWS has been in existence for well over 50 years and is the cradle for many of todays' major league players.

A Little bit of history here.

Baseball is like a national sports in USA.  It is very popular to say the least, even among adults, particularly among parents with children playing the game.

Initially it was a game/championship played only by US kids during the summer holidays.  After WW-II, USA established many military bases around the world, so the geographic area expanded to include teams from these overseas military bases which later expanded to included civilian teams from local clubs.  The event then re-named as LLWS.

LL as the name implies, is for players between 12 -14 (?, may be less, I am not sure about the age range now).  There is also a "league" for 14-16 agre group which is not as popular and is not the topic for discussion here.

Prior to 60's, the Championship was always won by a US domestic team.  When Japanese kids picked up the sport, and due to less distraction and more time spent on training and preparing for the games, Japan emerged as a power house and started winning many Championships.

Then came Taiwan, beating Japan in qualifying rounds, and winning the Championship for many years in succession.

The Championship is played each year in Williamsport, Pennsyvannia in 2nd half of AUG, and before the kids return to school.

The playing are mostly similar to Major League except with a duration of 6 innings, and players on base cannot start running UNTIL the catcher has the ball in his/her* (only sports activity in which both genders can play on the same pitch) glove.

* There was one year in which the star pitcher was a black girl from USA!

Kids are kids, eye-hand coordination is not as developed as adults, and they make mistakes which make the game much more interesting because the unexpected always happen.  However, the kids still play very nice baseball, expecially when the series reach the quarterly final rounds.

As usual, there will be live TV coverage.  Just watch it with an open mind, it is very entertaining!  (I have followed and watch LLWS for I don't know how many years now!)

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-8-18 15:44:25 | 显示全部楼层
There is almost daily televised games for the next 10 days.  I started watching since yesterday!  

The age limit for LLWS is 12, not 14.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-8-24 07:05:38 | 显示全部楼层
Today (AUG24 2019), there will be two final games.

The first one will produce the USA winner, while the next one will produce the International winner.

The two winner will meet SUN (AUG25) for the decider of the LLWSC!

Check you local listings and watch them.  It is fun and you will not regret the time spent on them, i.e. if you enjoy base ball.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-8-24 15:07:11 | 显示全部楼层
Here is the reesult of the International playoff:

Curacao won, beating Japan by 5 - 4.  What an exciting game.

Bottom half of the of the 6th Inning which is the last inning of LL baseball, Caracao led by 5 - 2, but the bases were loaded, and Japan was hitting, one home run would have turned the table around.

Japan hit, the ball dropped onto infield, players on bases started running, 2 throwing errors which Japan cashed in, and the score was 5 - 4.  

Japanese player on 3rd base.  2 strikes and 3 balls. Here came the final pitch - it was a fly ball, caught by the pitcher to end the game.  So, Caracao won.

The USA Division is being played right now between Hawaii and Louisiana.  I hope they could finish before 1745 as I must leave for a dinner engagement.

The final game of the LLWS will be played tomorrow (SUN) between Caracao and the winning team between Hawaii and Louisiana.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-8-24 16:18:10 | 显示全部楼层
The game is still in progress, but I think Louisiana will be winner of the USA Division, because it is still top of 5th Inning, Louisiana leads by 5 - 0.

Hawaii has 2 more at bat innnings, but they are not impressive, will need a miracle to get back, let alone win.

I think tomorrow's Final will be between Louisiana and Curacao.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-8-25 12:35:10 | 显示全部楼层
The live telecast of the LLWS final is at 1500 today!
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-8-25 16:18:45 | 显示全部楼层
Louisiana CRUSHED Curacao 8 - 0!

What was so amazing about Louisiana's win is that during the Series, they lost the first game, then won all the back, including the Final game.

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

AZN747

GMT-5, 2024-3-29 09:46 , Processed in 0.052158 second(s), 13 queries .