找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
楼主: dragondick

2019 F-1 Racing schedule

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2019-6-9 02:55:28 | 显示全部楼层
Zangcong 发表于 2019-6-8 23:44
Hopefully this is Ferrari's chance to bounce back. Been kind of a disappointing season so far for  ...

The 2019 F-1 season for Ferrari is already over.

Even if Ferrrari comes in first in the remaining races while MB comes in 2nd, the Constructors' Championship has already decided.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-6-9 15:31:32 | 显示全部楼层
The 2019 Canadian F-1 GP ended with a bit of controversy.....

Vettel crossed the S/F line first, but relegated to 2nd because of an incident which I will explain later.  So, Hamilton won, Charles Leclerc was 3rd.

Let's get to the incident:

Hamilton closed the gap between him and Vettel who was the race leader then, to 0.5" and was making his intentions known that he wished to overtake.

Obviously Vettel was under pressure and made a mistake in maneuvering a right-left-right bend, by going out of the track, then rejoining by forcing Hamilton to brake and aborted the overtake.

There are rulings in motor racing:

1.  If you are following a car, cut a corner to join the join the race while overtaking the car previously in front of you, then you must give up the position at the next available opportunity.

2.  If you are in front of the car behind you who is attempting a overtake,  and did the same thing, you must give up the "ill-gotten" lead.

What made Vettel's case different was whether it was INTENTIONAL blocking or not.  Unfortunately, racing rules do not cater for mental state of drivers.

By cutting a corner with 4 wheels out of the track and onto the grass, this car must give up its position to the car following closely behind.  Granted when Vettel rejoined the race, his car was not 100% under control, whether it was intentional or not should not come into the equation, his 4 wheels were out of the track and must be penalized.

The Stewards did not mention this "4-wheel-off-track" rule but said Vettel endangered Hamilton's overtaking and gave him an add-on 5" penalty which created the controversy.  Then Vettel said it was not intentional.  That, in my mind, was immaterial.

I once studied these racing rules thoroughly and am quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Of course, Vettel wan't happy.  However, if the Stewards applied the correct ruling, there shall be no argument!

Stewards, particularly the Chief Steward, have to make hard decisions, this is one of them!

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-6-10 08:12:44 | 显示全部楼层
One more thing, Team Ferrari did not protest (probably knowing full well that Vettel was at fault), so Vettel's verbal outrage during and after the race was for show with no substance support!
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-10 10:29:46 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-10 23:29:47 | 显示全部楼层
dragondick 发表于 2019-6-9 15:31
The 2019 Canadian F-1 GP ended with a bit of controversy.....

Vettel crossed the S/F line first, bu ...

I think the main point is consistency. These incidents have gone unpunished many times before and it seems like the FIA lacks consistency when it comes to judging these incidents.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-6-11 03:08:44 | 显示全部楼层
Zangcong 发表于 2019-6-10 23:29
I think the main point is consistency. These incidents have gone unpunished many times before and  ...

You know why, because they didn't hire me as the Chief Steward!  
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-6-11 05:51:08 | 显示全部楼层
anon1 发表于 2019-6-10 10:29
Ferrari intends to appeal penalty.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.ferrari-lodge-intenti ...

Please note "intention to appeal" is not an appeal, it is a PR gesture.

To lodge an appeal, certain condition must be met:
1.  Must be submitted within a pre-set time limit.
2.  Must be in writing.
3.  Must be accompanied with an appeal fee which is NOT refundable if the appeal is lost or rejected.

With 4 wheels out of the track (there is video evidence), I don't see Ferrari having any chance of winning.  I also don't see Ferrari throwing away their money on a case which it will not win; in addition, Vettel is already not in contention for 2019's Drivers' championship.  Mind you, Vettel could have braked after returning to the track and let Hamilton pass, which is the correct way to do.

I commented many years ago that Vettel was a dirty driver, the latest incident cemented my point.

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2019-6-11 11:16:53 | 显示全部楼层
dragondick 发表于 2019-6-11 05:51
Please note "intention to appeal" is not an appeal, it is a PR gesture.

To lodge an appeal, certa ...

My only objection on the penalty is that I think it is too harsh on Vettel, is the 5" addition to his time as a result of this incident.

Let me explain:

1.  Vettel can never lead Hamilton by 5" after the penalty to erase the deficit simply because his car/driving is not fast enough to do that.  5" is a lot in F-1 racing!
2.  If the 3rd-placed car is bunched up to less than a 5" gap, Vettel will not even keep his second position.  In fact, Vettel was able to keep his 2nd position by just about 1" over 3rd place finisher.
3.  However, If Vettel is ordered to give up his position to Hamilton, he still has a smaaaaaaaaaaal chance of overtaking Hamilton, and legally become the winner.
4.  Also 4-wheel outside the track's penalty is give up the position to the closely following car.  If there is no car closely following the offender, then there is no penalty if there is no protest.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-11 20:52:42 | 显示全部楼层
dragondick 发表于 2019-6-11 11:16
My only objection on the penalty is that I think it is too harsh on Vettel, is the 5" addition to  ...

They also robbed the spectators the joy of watching some real racing. The decision pretty much allowed Hamilton to cruise along to victory while Vettel was driving hard just to finish 2nd.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2019-6-12 01:13:28 | 显示全部楼层
Ferrari "forgot" to tell Leclerc of Vettel's penalty. He could have taken second place.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/ne ... el-penalty/4462210/
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

AZN747

GMT-5, 2024-4-27 00:22 , Processed in 0.035528 second(s), 11 queries .