找回密码
 立即注册
搜索
查看: 2579|回复: 11

US PRESIDENTS' LEGACY

[复制链接]
发表于 2016-12-30 06:05:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/29/mi ... analysis/index.html

In recent history, US Presidents are all too pre-occupied with establishing their legacy rather than doing what is right, basically they become politicians instead of statesman with foresight.  So, they will all be remembered by their shortcomings:

Jimmy Carter - Deserted Iran's Shah, a longtime ally and created a radical Islamic State, following by its storming of the US Embassy, holding diplomats as hostage, and finally a failed rescue attempt which sank his run for a 2nd term.

Bill Clinton - "I never had a sexual relationship with that woman, Lewinsky"

Bush - "Mission accompblished" before capturing Osama bin Ladin.  Troops in Afghanistan were diverted to Iraq for another war while letting OBL and loyalists escaped when surrounded.

Obama - Created ISIS by supplying arms for the purpose of toppling Assad of Syria; lifted sanctions on Iran; betrayed Saudi Arabia; distanced Israel; drew a "red line" re Assad's use of chemical weapons then turned a blind eye to it; allowed/encouraged/supported Japan to re-arm and returned land to Japan when it wasn't Japan's in the first place and was condition of Japan's surrender that it should be returned to China; and finally the above link which basically signalled the beginning of the end of USA's dominance on the international stage.

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2016-12-30 07:22:38 | 显示全部楼层
Main problem with US is the playing of World Policemen role.

We had dictatorship in many countries.  No matter how bad things were for the population, one thing it provided was STABILITY, though not Democracy as a result.

Yugoslavia, Iraq and a few other countries were basically held together by dictatorship.

Without providing a plan B after breaking up the dictatorship,  all these tribal warfare will be bad for all parties involved.

My understanding that ISIS existed was caused by a taking over of IRAQ government by prior depressed Shiite majority who were ruled by Sadam Sunni minority.   Sunni got no place to go and moved to north part to form the ISIS.  Of course the discourse between two Muslim factions does not help.  Middle East will always be a hot bed for violence because of that.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2016-12-30 09:22:35 | 显示全部楼层
The first three paragraphs are the results of:
1.  Not understanding history which would include geography and local cultures.
2.  The desire to export democracy.

The last paragraph is the result of:
1.  The long held principle of letting others fight a proxy war for USA, providing arms to ISIS, hoping it will topple Assad.

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-1-3 15:30:23 | 显示全部楼层
Donald Trump might do a good job this time.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-1-3 17:38:11 | 显示全部楼层
bjr2016 发表于 2017-1-3 15:30

govern via Twitter with multi Billionaires.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2017-1-3 18:09:57 | 显示全部楼层
bjr2016 发表于 2017-1-3 15:30

My guess is, DT will be a better president than HC because he has no intention to serve 2 terms, or go after a legacy, or get rich through illegal means.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-1-4 04:45:48 | 显示全部楼层
dragondick 发表于 2017-1-3 18:09
My guess is, DT will be a better president than HC because he has no intention to serve 2 terms, o ...

But Trump is a egomaniac + megalomaniac with access to nukes. That is very bad.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2017-1-4 04:47:11 | 显示全部楼层
Oh wait. This thread is about legacy, I guess we should be discussing past presidents instead of the incumbent or prez-elect.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2017-1-22 05:54:46 | 显示全部楼层
Immediately after DT sworn in as the 45th President of USA, he signed an executive order, setting in motion the repealing of OBAMACARE.

So Obama, a junior Senator from Illinois, who moved into the White House, IMHO, because of his colour, was so absorbed in building an Obama legacy, will be left with nothing!  

I don't even think the story will end here.  If DT really want to pursue it, I think Obama is knee deep in Hillary's email scandal.  If Hillary used so many private servers for email exchange, do you think Obama can stay clean??  

This also explains why Obama went out his way to vigorously campaign for Hillary not to mention that he twisted Bernie Sanders' arms by inviting him to White House for lunch, subsequently BS kept quiet when the news broke that NDC Chairwoman play sides in getting Hillary to win party nomination!

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2017-1-23 04:27:29 | 显示全部楼层
Just a foot note for the above, what does DT's Executive Order mean for OBAMACARE:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/22/ ... ve-order/index.html

回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

AZN747

GMT-5, 2024-3-28 07:06 , Processed in 0.038665 second(s), 13 queries .