International Politics

[复制链接]
发表于 2015-1-5 05:00:28 | 显示全部楼层
提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-1-5 18:17:02 | 显示全部楼层
peps1crush 发表于 2015-1-5 05:00
To clarify what I'm saying, good guys in world disputes, in minor disputes I hate them as much as  ...

How are they good guys? They just pretend to be good guys and use democracy as political weapon. They do everything evil including torture, political assassinations, support dictators and terrorists groups as long as they are on their side, most of the wars after WW2 are either started by them or supported by them, they play one nation against another using the age-old divide-and-conquer strategy, only nation to ever used nuclear weapons.............  i can go on and on with the list
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-1-5 19:56:25 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-1-5 20:07:20 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-1-6 00:02:37 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-1-6 02:18:17 | 显示全部楼层
peps1crush 发表于 2015-1-6 00:02
btw, i really love this topic. Politics is my favourite, so I would love more participation. Thank y ...

There's a few fundamental paradigm errors with the way most people approach politics.

The first problem may be due in part to Hollywood movie in which there are clear cut good guys versus bad guys. In movies, you can always point out the good guy and the bad guy, and people try to apply this to political groups, and nations. So during the Cold war, the West saw itself as the good guys, and the Soviet block as bad guys. Of course the Communist bloc had the exact opposite opinion. In reality tho, everyone is motivated by self-interests and greed, and none of them are absolutely good or bad. Hell, even WWII was not a fight between good vs evil, but more of a "evil vs lesser evil" conflict.

Another problem is that people kind of think of nations as singular entities that are completely united in outlook and pursuits. For example, Reagan told us that "the USSR is an evil empire hell-bent of world domination and making us all into communists". Actually even dictatorships or single-party governments are often split into many factions, with internal conflict, differences of opinions, and power-brokers pulling in different directions. Not only nations, but even corporations, criminal gangs, or any organizations. So to make a statement like "this is what US (or China or whoever) wants to do" is overly simplistic (if not completely wrong).
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-1-6 02:26:53 | 显示全部楼层
peps1crush 发表于 2015-1-5 20:07
+ japan was committing heinous war crimes against america and china, massacring you guys. They kind  ...

Kind of.... but u can argue the exact opposite. If China didn't tie down the bulk of the Imperial Japanese Army, the US would have lost WAYYY more men, and the war would last indefinitely longer. Same goes for the USSR which absorbed an estimated 70% of the Nazi's military capacity (US, UK, and the rest of the allies were only fighting against 30% of the Nazi forces). Furthermore, the US sat out the war and watched everyone else fight until Pearl Harbor forced them to get involved.

I'm not saying they didn't help us, but to think that they did it simply out of a sense of righteousness or out of the goodness of their heart would be totally naive. And thats how the US rolls. They always turn a blind eye to evil if there's no benefit to get involved. They are also all too willing to be friends/allies with mass-murdering tyrants if they happen to be friendly towards American interests. If I'm not mistaken, even the Dalai Lama was quoted as saying the US is only supporting him out of self-interest.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-1-6 02:28:38 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-1-6 02:38:06 | 显示全部楼层
peps1crush 发表于 2015-1-6 02:28
I do agree to some extent, but some things are very clear cut. Like social standards and rights of ...

Sorry, I don't agree. Those students are naive canon fodder for insidious behind-the-scenes forces at play. Moreover, with 7-8 million population jam-packed into tiny piece of land, and globalization leaving many people hopelessly behind, the demonstrations are more about deteriorating living standards than freedom or democracy. Most of them don't even understand democracy. For them its a fuzzy vision of utopia. They think that if they can "get democracy", then suddenly everyone will have well-paying jobs, affordable housing, clean air, efficient government, and their lives will be all happy and perfect. Democracy is whats on people's mouths, $$$ is what is on their minds.

Bill Clinton once said: "Its the economy, stupid!"

There's no better way to describe contemporary Hong Kong.
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-1-6 02:44:49 | 显示全部楼层
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

AZN747

GMT-5, 2024-3-28 12:06 , Processed in 0.036577 second(s), 11 queries .